This week I have mostly been spending my time sorting things for the exhibition, I had previously spoken about ordering my prints A2 size from the print buro at the university. I was really happy with the quality and size of the prints when I picked them up, there was just one thing wrong with them, they didn’t fit the frames I’d bought!!!! They fit with the mount included with the frames, however, it could off a lot of the image and I really didn’t want to use mounts as I like the images to bleed to the edge of the frame.
I quickly got into the buro and resolved the problem and re-ordered my images. A hassle but luckily I left myself enough time to resolve any issues like this so I can hang them exactly how I want to.
The buro were so great and even printed them for me that day! Which was a great help.
After receiving the reprinted images I put them in the frames to check I was happy with them (which I was). I then headed to get some brackets that will attach the frames flat to the wall instead of hanging them.
Here are my completed exhibition Prints!
This is them with the flat brackets attached.
I have been abit rubbish last week with blogging! So I’ll blog about my trip to Spinks and Thackery now. A few weeks ago I decided I was going to have my book rebound at spinks, I ‘d heard loads of god reviews about it, the only downside for me was it was in Leeds and I live in Chesterfield. However it was definitely worth the trip, I spoke to the gentleman that worked there and he advised me that the current bind I have was not that bad at all. He also said it was basically to the standard it would be if there were to take it apart and re-bound it. I took some time to decide what to do, should I take his advice or listen to what others had said about the blurb bind.
After awhile of debating..
I decided to take his advice, he was an expert in bookbinding so I listened to him. I left my book to have the text on the cover added on. I went for gold text embedded on my grey cover.
I am really happy with how the text turned out, and I have saved so much money not getting the whole thing rebound. I am happy I can now bin the awful sleeve that the book ordinally came in from blurb.
Overall I am happy with how my book had turned out, It is such a weight off my mind now and I can focus on my exhibition plans! Thanks to spinks and Thackery for the advice.
Over the past month I have been creating a different dummy book each week, this process has been so so helpful for my project and I can’t imagine feeling as good about my project as I do know without doing this process. Not only that it has enabled me to create a solid edit for my project, something I really struggled with prior to making my dummy books.
My books have changed each week, it first began landscape but soon changed after reflexion, that full page bleed images really don’t work as well with a landscape book as they do with portrait. I have also changed to software I was using since my first book, I began using lightroom, it is easier to use than InDesign however, this does not mean it is better. Although it is easier and quicker, it does not give you the creative freedom like InDesign does, lightroom restricts you to certain layouts which I do not like.
Tomorrow I will be completing my final dummy book test (hopefully) I now know how I’d like my book and in what sequence. I still have some images to move about, as someone last week said to be the book should be like a piece of music, instead of the images all being same size, same place and same space they should appear in different positions. I also know have the text I am using! So I will be making final Dummy tomorrow with text which I hope will fit well.